Middle East: Three US troops die in drone attack

Henry

Three US troops were killed and 34 others wounded after a drone strike at an outpost on the Jordan-Syria border.

These are the first deaths of US troops in the region since war broke out between Israel and the Iran-backed Hamas in October last year.

“We experienced a difficult time in the Middle East last night. We have lost three brave souls… We will respond,” US President Joe Biden assured at an event in South Carolina on Sunday.

“While we are still gathering the facts of this attack, we know it was carried out by radical Iran-backed militant groups operating in Syria and Iraq,” the US president also said in a national statement.

However, Iran has since denied allegations that the rebels responsible for the attack enjoy that country’s support.

“These claims are made with specific political goals to reverse the realities of the region,” said a spokesman for Iran’s foreign ministry, Nasser Kanaani.

The US Central Command said Sunday evening that the attack took place at a logistics support base at Tower 22 in northeastern Jordan.

Jordan, which initially maintained that the attack did not take place on its home soil, but rather in neighboring Syria, has since said that “an advanced position on the border with Syria” was targeted.

Jordan as well as Bahrain, Egypt and Britain condemned the attack on Sunday.

According to US Central Command, there were approximately 350 US Army and Air Force personnel deployed at the base in question when the drone strike was carried out.

Those troops performed “a number of key support functions” against the Islamic State jihadist group.

The incident is expected to further heighten tensions in the region and add to growing fears of a wider conflict. The price of oil has already risen since the news of the attack became known.