Motive behind Kempton Park murders still unclear

Henry

The private investigator Mike Bolhuis will now assist the police in their investigation into the gruesome murders of several relatives of Benoni on the East Rand.

Anton Bouwer appeared in the Kempton Park Magistrate’s Court on Thursday on four charges of murder, attempted murder and defeating the law.

According to the indictment, on January 21, Bouwer first shot his parents, Bettie (73) and Robert Barry Bouwer (78), on their farm in Bredell, Kempton Park.

After this, he is believed to have gone to his own house in Holding Road in Benoni on the East Rand, where he is believed to have continued the killing spree.

Allegedly, Bouwer shot dead his adopted daughter, Natasha Bouwer (22), and the family’s maid, Elizabeth Mahlangu (55), here. He also apparently shot his wife, Adélle (43). She survived and RNews understands that she is now in a stable condition after having to undergo an operation earlier in the week.

Bouwer apparently shot himself in the face last. He too survived.

On Monday, shortly after the shooting incidents, Bolhuis was appointed by Bouwer’s family to help solve the case. This earlier told RNews that “Anton would never be capable of such a thing or of shooting himself”.

Anton Bouwer, singing murder, court

Despite this, there was widespread speculation about the incident, especially after it became known that Bouwer was questioned by the police 13 years ago regarding the murder of his brother, Robbie Bouwer (41).

Robbie’s burned body was discovered in August 2011 along the Pomona off-ramp near Kempton Park. A reliable source close to the investigation at the time told RNews that Bouwer was investigated, but never charged due to a lack of sufficient evidence.

According to this source, there was contention in the family “and it was no secret in Benoni that the brothers did not get along.”

At the time, Robbie and Anton were both involved in the management of Mesh for Birds, a business which, among other things, sold birdcages and was run by the Bouwer family in Kempton Park.

RNews understands Robbie’s unsolved murder is one of the reasons why the family approached Bolhuis.

Antoinette Coetzer, one of Bolhuis’ investigators, confirmed that they are investigating three possible scenarios as possible motives for the murders.

These scenarios are a family murder, a robbery or that the deceased had information that could potentially put them in danger. Initial investigative work has already indicated that nothing was stolen from the respective residences.

Lt. Col. Mavela Masondo, Gauteng police spokesperson, confirmed that nothing was stolen during the murders. There were also apparently no signs of a break-in or any forced entry into the homes.

A family member told RNews that the parents’ home had been searched. The police as well as Bolhuis denied the allegation.

Bolhuis’ mandate has since been terminated by the family, but he confirmed to RNews that he will continue to help the police with their investigation.

According to him, the case is still far from over. Masondo confirmed this, but could not confirm whether the police are also investigating the possibility of more suspects. He also did not want to confirm whether the police had been able to identify any motive for the murders.

“The case is still pending and is being thoroughly investigated,” says Masondo.

RNews approached the family and friends of the deceased several times this week. No one wanted to comment.

Meanwhile, Anton will remain in custody until next month, when he is expected to submit a bail application to the court.