Red Bull is not clipping Perez’s wings

Henry

Sergio Perez will remain behind the wheel of his Red Bull fire truck for the next two years.

The 34-year-old racer signed a contract on Tuesday that will keep him part of the Milton Keynes set-up until at least 2026.

There was uncertainty about Perez’s future at Red Bull in the run-up to the contract development. This year he is struggling a little to keep up with the other racers and he is currently fifth in the official drivers’ standings.

In addition, he was also involved in a collision early in the Monaco Grand Prix. Still, the Mexican star was persuaded to make a difference at Red Bull.

“I am very happy to embark on the future with this excellent team. It’s almost a challenge for you to race for Red Bull – on and along the race track,” said Perez.

According to Christian Horner, continuity was the watchword in Red Bull’s final decision.

“This is an important time to confirm our driver roster for 2025 and we are grateful to continue our partnership with Checo,” said the team boss.

“Max and Checo are a successful combination and they finished last year’s championship in first and second place; a first for Red Bull.”

Perez has stood on the podium in Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Japan and China, but in the last few races he is getting the wind ahead.

“Yes, the last few races have been difficult for Sergio, but we know that he will be back to his best soon as usual,” Horner concluded.

Driver scoring:

  1. Max Verstappen: 169 points
  2. Charles Leclerc: 138 points
  3. Lando Norris: 113 points
  4. Carlos Sainz: 108 points
  5. Sergio Perez: 107 points
  6. Oscar Piastri: 71 points
  7. George Russell: 54 points
  8. Lewis Hamilton: 42 points
  9. Fernando Alonso: 33 points
  10. Yuki Tsunoda: 19 points.