South Africans can start waving their green flags because the Rugby World Cup is around the corner and the SABC can broadcast the Bok matches now!
Zizi Kodwa, Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture, says he is delighted that the SABC, the public broadcaster, and MultiChoice were able to reach an agreement on broadcasting rights for the 2023 Rugby World Cup.
RNews reported earlier that SuperSport confirmed in a statement on Saturday that after months of negotiations with the SABC, it could not reach an agreement for the sub-licensing of broadcasting rights for this year’s World Cup.
However, MultiChoice announced on Thursday that it has now reached an agreement with the SABC to sub-license broadcast rights to the public broadcaster for the Rugby World Cup.
“This means that millions of South Africans will be able to watch key matches in the 2023 Rugby World Cup, including all the matches in which the Springboks participate,” says Kodwa.
“I welcome this groundbreaking agreement which will allow all South Africans to watch our world champions, the Springboks, as they defend the World Cup title.
“Rugby has the potential to unite our people, to promote social cohesion and national unity. We saw it in the times when the Springboks won the World Cup,” says Kodwa.