Spain joins SA’s Gaza case in highest UN court

Henry

On Thursday, Spain also added its support to South Africa’s genocide case against Israel, which is being heard by the United Nations High Court in The Hague.

The country follows closely on the heels of Chile, which joined South Africa’s cause last week.

The case is related to the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, with South Africa accusing Israel of acts of genocide.

The South African government also argues that Israel’s extensive military operation in Rafah – where more than a million Palestinian citizens are currently hiding – is a serious and irreparable violation of the Genocide Convention and the International Court of Justice’s order from January.

“Our only goal is to end the war and find a two-state solution,” said José Manuel Albares, Spain’s foreign minister.

Albares’ announcement follows a week after Spain, Ireland and Norway recognized Palestine as a state – a step that Israel is furious about.

However, Chile has recognized Palestine as a state since 2011.

RNews earlier reported that the Court of Justice ruled in South Africa’s favor for the second time on Friday 24 May and ordered Israel to withdraw “immediately” and stop its military offensive in Rafah. According to statistics from the UN, up to 1.4 million people are taking refuge in this city.

The Court of Justice also ordered Israel to open a key crossing in the area so that humanitarian aid can enter Rafah “unimpeded”. The country was further told to ensure “unrestricted access” for investigators who, in accordance with the UN’s mandate, want to investigate allegations of genocide at the site.

The court further insisted on the “unconditional” release of hostages captured by Hamas on October 7 last year.

On January 26, the Court of Justice also ordered Israel to do everything in its power to prevent acts of genocide in its military operations in Gaza.

However, South Africa has returned to the court several times to ask the court to declare new interim emergency measures due to the serious humanitarian crisis in the area.

Israel still maintains that it is not trying to destroy the Palestinian people at all and claims that the country acted in self-defense after Hamas attacked Israel on October 7 last year.

Israel previously told the court that its response was not aimed at the Palestinian residents of the Gaza Strip, and that during the October 7 attacks, Hamas militants “tortured children in front of parents, parents in front of children, burned people… systematically raped and mutilated has”.

Israel’s retaliatory offensive has claimed at least 36,379 lives in Gaza, according to the Hamas-controlled territory’s health department. Most of them are women and children.