Supreme Court says Oscar should have been considered for parole a long time ago

Henry

Oscar Pistorius should have been eligible for parole six months ago.

This is according to the latest decision by the highest court in the country.

On Monday, the Constitutional Court granted Pistorius’ application to gain direct access to the court.

The court also ruled that his sentence of 13 years and five months was backdated to July 6, 2016, when he was first convicted of murder.

This decision means that Pistorius did become eligible for parole in March this year.

RNews previously reported that Pistorius’ application for parole was rejected in March because he apparently did not complete the minimum period of detention.

The Department of Correctional Services (DKD) initially indicated that Pistorius had served more than half of his sentence and was eligible for parole. The department amended this version and later announced that he would not in fact qualify for parole until August 2024.

The confusion arose after the Court of Appeal overturned Pistorius’s initial sentence of six years for murder in 2017 and replaced it with a sentence of 13 years and five months.

Singabakho Nxumalo, spokesperson for the DCD, says the department has already received the order from the Constitutional Court.

“The department is currently reviewing the decision and will soon announce the way forward to ensure that the court order is correctly applied.”