Thabo Bester escape: Three more handcuffed

Henry

The team leading the investigation into the Thabo Bester case arrested three more suspects.

“Two of the suspects are 47 years old and the third person is 37 years old. All three are men and they are all G4S employees,” says Brig. Athlenda Mathe, national police spokesperson.

One suspect was arrested at his home in Botshabelo and two were arrested at their homes in Bloemfontein. All three were arrested on Monday evening.

“The three men are expected to appear in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday. They stand trial on charges of helping a prisoner escape from custody, the violation of a deceased person’s body and corruption.”

Twelve suspects have already been arrested in the case. Mathe says the possibility of more arrests cannot be ruled out.

RNews earlier reported that most of the accused were employees of the G4S private security company when Bester disappeared during a daring escape from the Mangaung maximum security prison in Bloemfontein about a year ago.

A burnt body was found in cell 35 in May last year, which initially led the authorities to believe that he had set himself on fire. The body has since been identified as that of Katlego Bereng Mpholo.

Dubbed the Facebook rapist, Bester was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 after he lured victims onto the social media platform and then raped and robbed them. He killed at least one of his victims.

Those who are currently being prosecuted for their alleged involvement in Bester’s escape include Bester’s friend Dr. Nandipha Magudumana; her father, Zolile Sekeleni; former Mangaung Prison employees, Senohe Matsoara, Monteyani Masukela, Tieho Makhotsa and Nastassja Jansen; and Teboho Lipholo, a former employee of the CCTV service provider Integriton Security Solutions. A ninth accused, Zanda Moyo, a Zimbabwean, was added to the list in early June.