The late Rev. Liezel’s husband ‘injured’ in accident that claims two


The murdered Rev. Liezel de Jager’s widower, Werner, was taken to a hospital in the Free State for medical treatment in April this year after he was involved in a fatal accident on the N1 near Kroonstad. The accident claimed the lives of two women.

Three months later, it is still unclear whether De Jager will be criminally prosecuted for his alleged role in the accident.

Linda Eales (54) and Berniese Eales (84) died on 15 April this year after Werner crashed his vehicle into the women’s vehicle from the back about three kilometers from the Koppies exit in the direction of Kroonstad and Linda lost control of the vehicle.

The emergency services were called to the scene at 07:25 on the day in question and Linda and Berniese were pronounced dead on the arrival of paramedics at the scene.

Three other patients, including De Jager, were taken to the Kroon Hospital for medical treatment on the morning in question.

Capt. Loraine Earle, police spokesperson, confirmed to RNews on Tuesday that De Jager was injured during the accident.

Earle says the police are currently investigating a case of culpable homicide.

“Once the investigation has been completed, the dossier will be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for a decision.”

Werner de Jager disappeared almost two years ago after Liezel was found dead outside their home on Amanzimtoti. The widower was later found in a precarious condition in his car in a sugarcane plantation in Illovo-South and rushed to a hospital.

Liezel, a pastor, was found dead with strangulation marks on her neck on the morning of 13 October 2021 at the rectory of the NG Church Suidkus after she went jogging with a group of people.

However, the police have so far made little progress in the investigation into her murder.

Ian Cameron, director of community safety at Action Society, says the police neglected to follow up evidence or give feedback to the family about new developments in the case. Action Society has already followed up on the case 18 times on behalf of the family.

According to Cameron, there is someone of interest whose mobile phone may contain relevant information which, together with information from Liezel’s and her husband’s mobile phones, could lead to a breakthrough in the case.

Cameron also said detectives compiled a list of questions for Werner and asked him to answer these questions with the help of a polygraph test. However, according to Cameron, the police never followed up after Werner did not show up for it.