Two drown at False Bay; one more missing

Henry

Two people drowned and a young father is still missing after swimmers got into trouble at Sonwabe beach this week.

Crew members from the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) on Strandfontein were called to this beach in False Bay on Monday around 13:30 after receiving information about possible drownings.

Craig Lambinon, spokesperson for the NSRI, says that according to the information, four people ended up in a rip current and were pulled deeper into the sea. The City of Cape Town’s water rescue network was also called to the scene.

“When we arrived at the scene, an 18-year-old from Woodstock was found on the beach. NSRI medics started with artificial respiration, after which emergency services later joined in an attempt to save the young man’s life.

“After none of the attempts were successful, the 18-year-old was declared dead,” says Lambinon.

An eight-year-old and a 12-year-old boy, believed to be cousins, had already been rescued from the sea when the NSRI crew arrived. However, a 28-year-old man, the father of the eight-year-old child, is still missing.

“The eight-year-old was able to get out of the sea unharmed and without help. Two good Samaritans helped the 12-year-old out of the water and tried to locate the 28-year-old man and also rescue him from the sea.

“The 12-year-old boy was transported by ambulance to the hospital for observation of non-fatal drowning symptoms. He is the brother of the 18-year-old who drowned,” says Lambinon.

The search for the missing man continues.

Lambinon says the family requested space for privacy during this difficult time.

He says that while lifeboats along the coastline responded to this incident, they were stopped by members of the public about half a kilometer from the scene.

“During an investigation by the NSRI, a 24-year-old man from Manenberg was found on the beach after bystanders rescued him from the water.

“He was on the beach and didn’t have a pulse or breathe at all,” says Lambinon.

He says all efforts were made to save the 24-year-old man’s life, but he was pronounced dead.

“We express our deepest condolences to the family of the 18-year-old as well as the family of the 24-year-old man,” says Lambinon.

The bodies of the deceased have been handed over to the state’s forensic pathology services and the police are conducting two inquests.