Two gr. 1 boys die after eating their sweets


Two gr. 1 learners died and two more are in a critical condition in a hospital after they ate sweets they bought at a spaza shop.

The two boys were respectively learners at the Kgauhelo Primary School and Karabo Primary School in Soweto. They died on Sunday after consuming biscuits and juice bought from a local spaza shop and starting to feel ill.

According to Matome Chiloane, Gauteng MEC for education, two gr. 1 girls in critical condition at Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital after consuming the same cookies and juice.

The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident.

“We request the community’s support and understanding during this challenging period, and also plead for parents to be extra vigilant about what their children eat and to ensure their well-being.”

Chiloane said the department will work with law enforcement agencies to ensure that the matter is thoroughly investigated.

“We want to express our deepest condolences to the families involved, and wish the two hospitalized learners a speedy recovery,” Chiloane added.