Panayiotou and co-accused in Jayde's murder expected to hear trial date
Port Elizabeth businessman, Christopher Panayiotou, and his co-accused, alleged triggerman, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, and Sinethemba Nemembe are expected in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court on Friday at around 12pm to find out when he will stand trial.
The trio stand accused of the planning and executing a faked hijacking that resulted in the death of loved Port Elizabeth teacher and Panayiotou's wife, Jayde in April 2015.
It is alleged that Panayiotou paid Luthando Siyoli, 31, a bouncer at his nightclub in Algoa Park, R75 000 to hire a hitman Vumazonke, 30, for the murder. Late in October last year, Sinethemba Nenembe, 28, who is related to Vumazonke, was also linked to the case.
Siyoli has since turned State witness.
To date, the case has suffered numerous postponements. Read more on the case, click HERE.
Addressing Magistrate Lisa Keech in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate's Court in January 2016, prosecutor Marius Stander said the investigation was still underway, as they were waiting for assistance from the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Stander said the relevant documentation for assistance had been signed off by a judge last year on December 9.
The State is seeking assistance to retrieve information of conversations which were wiped from Panayiotou's phone.
Stander requested the case be postponed to March 11, after which it would be referred to the High Court for a trial date.
He indicated that his diary had been freed up to proceed with a trial in the third term, which commences in July.
Advocate Terry Price, appearing for Panayiotou, requested that Stander keep them informed of the progress of the State's case on a fortnightly basis.
He also raised concerns over the delays, saying his client had been in a holding cell and awaiting trial for nine months already.
"This has caused immeasurable suffering for my client and his family, both financially and emotionally," he said.
Price said he wanted the State to take positive steps to determine when they were likely to get a trial date, as this would impact on the possibility of a future bail application for Panayiotou.
Attorney Michelle Blignaut, representing Vumazonke, who was out on bail at the time of his arrest, said her client was serving the remainder of his sentence for a previous conviction relating to a robbery of a liquor store in 2014. She said his sentence ended on January 14, after which she had been instructed to seek bail for him.
Nenembe's legal team said they had no objections to the State's proposed date.
Magistrate Keech then postponed the matter to March 11.
Read more on the case, click HERE.
---additional reporting News24wire
Police in Kirkwood on Monday appealed to local residents to assist in identifying the body of a woman, who was found dead in an irrigation canal near the Moses Mabhida area over the weekend. "On Saturday, around 15:10, police were alerted that a body of a woman found floating in the water of an irrigation...
Over the past weekend, police in the King William’s Town...
Several successful operations were conducted over...
Port Elizabeth-born and raised amputee, Shaun Bakker will...
Agri Eastern Cape has called on drought-hit farmers to...
The South African National Roads Agency SOC Ltd (SANRAL)...
The Graeme 1st XI was brought down to earth...
British Airways today celebrated its love of Milan...
A Port Elizabeth father and son were reunited with their family...
An influx in innovative fintech and digital banking...
- Tragedy averted as father and son rescued in Port Elizabeth
- DA condemns waste of municipal funds by Buffalo City Metro
- Police appeal for information after 95-year-old Uitenhage woman raped and murdered
- NMMU urges students to apply for Fee Adjustment Grant
- Teenagers - Venter and De Jager, win maiden SPAR River Mile titles